Whether you’re an amateur or a professional, it’s a good idea to choose a kayak seat that suits your particular rear end requirements. This is especially true if you go on long kayaking trips downriver, out on the lake, or along the coastline.
We understand that when you buy a kayak that fits most of your needs, there may be certain aspects, such as the seat, that could be improved upon. That’s why we’ve put together the 12 best kayak seats that you can get online today.
There’s a wide range of seats to choose from to suit different sizes and purposes – like fishing kayak seats, for example. Plus, we have made sure that only tried, tested, and highly-rated kayak seats have been chosen in this review article.
We have also included some kayak seat cushion options and kayak seat pads into the mix for good measure.
So, if you’re searching for a kayak seat upgrade that’ll customize your kayak to the next level, please read on.
Best Kayak Seats
$47.50 in stock
- Soft and supportive seat fits most sit-on-top kayaks
- Skid resistant bottom
- Fully adjustable
- Articulated design for comfort
- Includes corrosion-resistant hardware
The Harmony Gear Standard Sit-on-Top Seat is soft, supportive, and easy to put into position.
- Nylon-covered foam backrest
- Nylon covered foam seat pad
- Skid-resistant underside
- Articulated design
- Soft and supportive
If you want to improve upon your existing kayak seat, the Harmony Gear Standard Sit-on-Top Seat is the perfect quick, inexpensive, and effective solution. It molds perfectly around your body shape and into the kayak because of its articulated design. Plus, you can adjust the position of the back band without having to leave the boat in the process.
- Skid-resistant design
- Fits most kayak sizes
- Ideal for sit-on-top kayaks
- Inexpensive upgrade
- Extremely comfortable
- Durable construction
- The clip attachments can be a little tough to open
Why it’s recommended: For anyone that requires an inexpensive and easy upgrade for their sit-on-top kayak, the Harmony Gear Standard Sit-on-Top Seat is a top choice.
- ★【DURABLE MODELD FOAM】Made of durable EVA foam interior and 210D polyester exterior. Deluxe molded thick foam cushion can support long-term water sports and add more comfort for all day long.adjustable kayak paddle
- ★【BETTER DESIGN】High back desigh and padded supports your back and butt, it is in line with ergonomics and provides incredible comfort in your water trip.Form-fitting design for all body sizes, large and small. It can also attach to compatible rowboats and fishing boats. Perfect for adding additional safety and comfort.sit in kayak seat
- ★【EXCELLENT HOOKS】High-grade hooks are used in our kayak seats, which are dfferent from most of the hooks in the market. The excellent hooks are even more corrosion resistance, long service life.
- ★【4 ADJUSTABLE STRAPS】2 straps in front, 2 straps in rear allowing the seat to be fixed in place according to different needs, give a wide range of adjustability to accommodate most any kayak, very easy to install and removal.
- ★【STORAGE BAG】Coming with a waterproof detachable storage bag at the back, offering extra storage for other small things.kayak seats with back support for sit on top
PenBan Deluxe Padded Kayak Seat Fishing Boat Seat works for all body sizes.
- Strong/durable molded foam
- High-grade hooks
- Various adjustable straps
- Padded support
- High-back design
- Waterproof detachable storage
When comfort is a priority, this PenBan fishing seat will keep you feeling comfortable and confident over extended periods. The EVA foam interior and 210D polyester exterior make it very durable and robust. As well, four adjustable straps ensure that the seat is held firmly in place, wherever you decide to place it.
- Ergonomic/comfortable design
- Thick foam cushioning
- Extra waterproof storage
- Compatible with various boat types
- Corrosion-resistant hooks
- Easy installation/removal
- It might be too large for your specific needs
Why it’s recommended: Anyone that enjoys fishing in their kayak, or other similar types of vessel, will get great use out of this well-design and super-comfy fishing seat.
- Extra thick padding and a reinforced back for a more rigid design.
- Minimizes fatigue on those extra long days on the water.
- Detachable storage bag included.
- Universally designed to attach to most Sit on Top kayaksAttaches via four attachment straps that extend up to 22". Two towards the front of the seat and two towards the back. Attachment points(pad eyes, D-Rings, etc) are not included.
- One year warranty against product defects.
The OceanMotion Ergo-Fit sit on top Kayak seat is ideal for anyone that wants extra thick padding in their seat.
- Reinforced back
- Extra thick padding
- Detachable storage bag
- Universal fit design
- Four attachment straps
- Rigid construction
First and foremost, this OceanMotion ergonomic kayak seat is made to be extremely rigid and durable for extended heavy use. But then it’s also a comfortable build with the soft and thick padding in place. The seat will also fit in a wide variety of sit-on-top kayaks due to its universal design.
- Wide comfortable design
- Good storage included
- Minimizes fatigue
- Designed for extended use
- Strong reinforced construction
- Might be too wide for some people’s requirements
Why it’s recommended: If you want a wider and more comfortable kayak seat for use over extended periods, this is a top choice.
- Fluidized Gel Pad seat for comfort that is completely waterproof.
- Low Profile - Designed for better stability and performance
- Lumbar Support - adjustable lower back support and side wings for extra support.
- Reinforced Back - 2 fiberglass battens gives additional strength
- Maintenance Free - heavy duty durable fabrics made in the USA
The Skwoosh Kayak Comfort Mid Height Back Kayak Seat is compact and uses a low-profile design to add a more subtle type of comfort to your kayaking experience.
- Fluidized gel pad seat
- Low-profile design
- Reinforced backing
- Adjustable lower back support
- Extra side wing support
- Heavy-duty construction
This kayak seat incorporates two fiberglass battens, which make it solid and dependable. It’s designed to provide extra stability and promotes high performance out on the water. Also, heavy-duty fabrics are used to ensure you have a long-lasting US-made kayak seat to support your paddling.
- Lower side wings for support
- Fiberglass battens
- High-quality fabrics
- Made in the USA
- Provides strong stability
- Some kayakers may want a little extra padding below
Why it’s recommended: This a more subtle and low-profile type of kayak seat that won’t take up too much space but gives you the extra support you need.
$174.99 in stock
- Contour molded, 18 in. tall, thermoformed foam backrest
- High quality, long lasting kayak seat with firm comfortable support for hours
- bungee pouch is specially designed to follow the sleek contours of the seat, made from durable, flexible mesh
- 2 in. thick seat bottom has deep comfort channels that also serve as drainage for excess cockpit water
The GTS Expedition Molded Foam Kayak Seat is a thermoformed backrest made for comfortable kayaking.
- Contour molded design
- Thermoformed backrest
- Bungee pouch
- 2-inch thick seat bottom
- Adequate water drainage
- 18-inches in height
For those that require a softer and more padded area for their backside region, the GTS Expedition Molded Foam Kayak Seat is a safe bet. It will work well for kayaking expeditions, as it says in its name. Plus, it should contour easily around various kinds of kayak for a snug fit.
- High-quality construction
- Made to be long-lasting
- Good drainage aspects
- Thick lower seating
- Ideal for long trips
- The thicker padding may cause balance issues in some kayaks
Why it’s recommended: This really is a kayak seat made for long journeys and provides excellent back support.
$23.22 in stock
- 【DURABLE MATERIAL】The deluxe kayak seat is made of durable EVA foam interior and high quality waterproof oxford fabric exterior. Wear resistance and corrosion resistance, longer service life.
- 【COMFORTABLE EXPERIENCE】EVA Foam filled seat brings unparalleled comfort, high back design is in line with ergonomics. it better fits the body curve, bring your water trip a better experience.
- 【PROFESSIONAL AND PRACTICAL DESIGN】This seat back is equipped with 4-way adjustable reinforced front and rear webbing straps allowing the seat to be fixed in place according to different needs.
- 【SAFETY PROTECTION】Suitable for kids children. This non-slip contoured padded backrest provides more reliable support and adds extra safety protection for your children. Enjoy the fun of kayaking.
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】This padded seat is easy to install and removal. Universal fit for any kayak or canoe. With strong zinc alloy buckle hooks, not rusted and easy to use.
The MonkeyJack Kids Back Support is great for kayaking and various other kinds of water-worthy vessels when kids need something comfortable to sit on.
- Durable design
- Adjustable backstraps
- Universal fit for kayaks/canoes
- Strong nylon construction
- Swivel hooks
When the kids need some stability, MonkeyJack has your back with their kids back support. It’s a flexible, simple, and straightforward design that’s easy to install and gives your child that extra support needed when the waters get rough. It’s also a sturdy construction that comes with snap hooks to hold it down firmly.
- Children sized
- Tough construction
- Flexible design
- Long-lasting support
- Good adjustability
- Provides extra comfort
- Some buyers may want thicker padding
Why it’s recommended: If you’re searching for a straightforward, affordable, and hassle-free kayak seat for one child or more, this option should be considered.
- Aluminum tube frame
- Premium all-weather, breathable textile combining an open weave fabric with a 3D mesh filler for the ultimate in comfort
- backrest straps allow for adjustments of the seat back angle
- Easy access grab handles allow the seat to adjust quickly to low, high or recline by unweighting the seat and shifting
- Easily attach accessories to slide rails
The Wilderness Systems AirPro Max Kayak Seat Kit comes in gray and is an impressive raised kayak seat design.
- Strong/lightweight aluminum tube frame
- All-weather design
- Breathable textile
- Open weaved fabric
- 3d mesh filler
- Seat angle adjustment
- Seat height adjustment
It’s incredibly strong, easily adjusted, and allows you to simply attach accessories to its slide rails. The Wilderness Systems AirPro Max Kayak Seat Kit is the ultimate kayaking seat, suitable for all kinds of kayaking endeavors. Furthermore, it’s made to work perfectly with Wilderness Systems Ride115, 115X, and 135 model kayaks – 2013 to the present day.
- Extremely flexible design
- Rugged and lightweight
- High-grade materials used
- Compatible with Wilderness kayaks
- Raised/lowered easily
- Good weather-resistance
- It’s a premium-priced option
- Not everyone requires height adjustment
Why it’s recommended: If you’re serious about kayaking and want a truly beneficial seat upgrade, the Wilderness Systems AirPro Max is a great choice.
- Lightweight, shock absorbent and comfortable.
- Contoured massage points add muscle relief.
- Provide great, soft and comfortable support.
- Effectively protect the bottom, sit up very comfortable.
- Compatible with almost every kayak.
The Lixada Comfortable Soft Padded On-Top Seat Cushion is super affordable and lightweight.
- Shock absorbent
- Comfortable design
- Contoured massage points
- Ergonomic positioning
- Compatible with most kayaks
Lixada offers this straightforward yet effective cushion pad that gives you the extra support needed, without going “overboard” on features and sizing. It won’t add any real noticeable weight to your kayak, and it’s flexible enough to fit in most kayak designs.
- Simple and effective design
- Doesn’t change the feel of your kayak
- Absorbs shocks well
- Provides muscle relief
- Exceptionally lightweight
- Super affordable
- It’s a very simplistic design
Why it’s recommended: Not everyone is looking for a full-size seat upgrade for their kayak. Lixada comes with a cushion pad that gives you the extra bit of support you might need for extended kayaking trips.
- 【2 Pack of Deluxe Padded Kayak Seats】We only use high quality material.Our canoe backrest is made of durable UV-resistant neoprene+600D polyester,internally filled with EVA foam+PE plate which offers more cushioning than other kayak seats!Marine-grade material offers you excellent waterproof effect;non-slip contoured padded seat surface adds extra comfort and safety while you're out and about in the waters;a built-in ventilation system to help keep any paddler cool and dry
- 【Incredible Comfortable and Shockproof】The deluxe molded foam kayak seat looks like it belongs in a high-end sports car rather than a kayak with its deep molded center panels and the contrasting black molded foam perimeter padding.Extra thick seat and backrest foam padding,not only offers ultimate shock-proof performance,but also provides couch-like comfort,comfortably supports your back and butt,allows you to do water sports for a whole day without tired!
- 【Ergonomic Backrest and Detachable Zipper Storage Bag】The ergonomic 18'' tall backrest of the deluxe kayak seat perfectly fits to your body,offers maximum high back support and incredible comfortable,encouraging a long day of kayaking without having to worry about back pain!Each kayak Fishing seat comes with a FREE detachable zipper storage bag which is coated by water resistance material,convenient for you to store your kayak accessories,additional tackle,lunch boxes or your personal belongings
- 【4 Adjustable Straps with Solid Marine Grade Brass Clips】4 adjustable front and rear straps designed with marine grade brass connecting snaps which are solid,durable and rust-proof in seawater,allow you to clip the seat easily to your kayak and fix it in place firmly.4-way adjustable mounting straps gives a wide range of adjustability to accommodate most sit-on-top kayak,canoes,inflatable Kayaks,some SUP paddle board that have strap attachment points and other boats
- 【Get More Happy in the Water Sports】18 inches x 20.4 inches backrest size,12.2 inches x 15.3 inches seat size,our Boat Seat is easy to install and removal,upgraded version of widened attachment straps for even more solid positioning,which helps prevent seat slippage!Suitable for kayaking, canoeing, drifting and rafting,pelican kayak,elevated kayak,sundolphin kayak,lifetime kayak,ascend kayak.Perfect for sit-on-top kayak paddlers!Get more happy in the water sports with our padded kayak seat!
The 2 Pack of Kayak Seats with backrests is an excellent package for tandem paddlers that are looking for a good deal.
- Neoprene/600D polyester
- EVA foam-filled
- Non-slip seat
- Contoured design
- Marine-grade brass clips
- Ventilation system
- 4-way adjustable straps
It seems that you really get two for the price of one here with this pair of kayak seats as one package. The build quality is superb, and the and the attention to detail makes this package really worth some consideration. The seats are well-padded, ventilated, and marine-grade materials are used throughout.
- High-quality materials used
- Great value for the money
- Extra thick lower seat
- Extensive backrest padding
- Two free zipper storage bags
- Good waterproofing/ventilation
- You might not want two kayak seats
Why it’s recommended: This deal is well worth looking into if you have a tandem kayak or a couple of kayaks that you want to upgrade.
- 【Skin-Friendly, Soft And Durable】This kayak seat pad is made of quality EVA material, No harmful chemicals, safe, skin-friendly, soft, durable.
- 【Long Lasting】Kayak seat cushion with long lasting color and does not fade.
- 【Comfort】Padded cushion provides the comfort.
- 【Wide Usage】Suitable for kayaking, inflatable boats, fishing boats, drift boats and so on.
- 【Lightweight And Portable】Size: About 37x33cm, Lightweight and portable, easy to carry and store.
The Kayak Seat Cushion we’re looking at is a very simplistic, inexpensive, yet highly effective way of adding an extra comfort level to your kayak.
- Soft/Durable EVA material
- Non-fading design
- Flexible usage
- Portable and lightweight
- 37x33cm size
- Comfortable padding
Here we’re checking out a straightforward padded cushion that should work for numerous kayak types and sizes. It adds that extra element of comfort that you might be craving for a very reasonable price. The fact that it’s so lightweight means that you can carry it around easily, and it won’t burden your kayak with any serious added weight.
- Cheap and simple
- Made with quality EVA material
- Quick/hassle-free implementation
- Durable and robust to hard use
- Multiple uses
- It’s basic padding that’s not fixed into place
Why it’s recommended: It’s incredibly simple but effective for giving you the extra cushioning you might be craving for in your kayak.
- Universal adjustable kayak seat for sit on top Kayak or Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP)
- Water repellent seat made of durable and resistant nylon
- Multi adjustment web-strap system and articulated design to maximize your comfort
- Easily attaches to D rings - May require the accessory mounting kit PS1015-2
- 19 in X 19 X 8 in
The Pelican Boats Sit-on-top Kayak or SUP Seat is a universal adjustable kayak seat suited to a sit-on-top kayak or stand-on-top paddleboard.
- Water repellent seat
- Durable nylon construction
- Web strap system
- D-ring attachable
- Articulated design
Pelican Boats offers you this very versatile kayak or paddleboard seat for a reasonable price. It has a multi-adjustable web strap system, and the nylon used is water repellent and super durable. You may require an accessory mount kit to attach to some kayaks, but it does attach easily to a D-ring set-up.
- Simple design
- Comfortable padding
- Attaches easily
- Quality materials used
- No rigid back support
Why it’s recommended: If you require an affordable and flexible kayak or paddleboard seat that’s constructed with high-quality materials, this is a good choice.
- Safe and Soft: This fishing chair cushion is made of high-quality cotton and synthetic fiber materials, safe and soft, durable
- Comfortable Experience: The ergonomic design of this fishing chair cushion brings you a comfortable experience, and the raised part provides you with a comfortable sitting posture
- Suction Cup Fixing: There are four suction cups on the back of this fishing chair cushion, which can be fixed on the seat to prevent it from sliding
- Lightweight and Portable: The size of this fishing chair cushion is 30 x 25 x 4.5 cm/11.8 x 9.8 x 1.7 inches, light and portable, easy to carry and store
- Wide Range of Applications: This fishing chair cushion is a useful tool for outdoor activities, ideal for fishing, kayaking, etc.
The Yosoo Health Gear Kayak Seat Cushion is a straightforward sit-on-top padded kayak seat.
- Filled with cotton
- Uses high-quality synthetics
- Ergonomic design
- Four suction cups/non-slip
- Lightweight/portable design
- Flexible in application
Not only will this kayak cushion give you a more comfortable paddling experience, but it can be used for fishing and various other outdoor activities. It promotes a good sitting posture over extended periods, and it won’t slide around because of the suction cups. The soft cotton makes it very comfy, and it is reasonably priced.
- Safe and soft design
- Multiple uses
- Promotes good posture
- Easy to carry
- Remains firmly in place
- Works great for fishing
- No back support
Why it’s recommended: This kayak cushion is soft because of the cotton filling, and it can be used for various applications such including kayaking, fishing, and much more.
How do they work?
As you will have noticed, there are various types of kayak seats, pads, and cushions to choose from, and they can vary in price dramatically. For the most part, however, they are usually inexpensive and built to good quality standards.
Most designs have hooks or clips that hook or clip onto existing outlets on your kayak. This is so they stay firmly in place. Others might not attach on by these means, but they instead use non-slip materials that keep the cushion or seat solidly in place.
Each design is ultimately unique, and so you will have to double-check before you buy to make sure the seat will fit your particular set-up.
Are they adjustable?
Again, each design will be different. Some kayak seats are incredibly adjustable to the extent of raising or lowering your sitting height in the kayak. Others are just adjustable for body size, but this is only important if you have a kayak seat with a backrest.
If you are just buying a kayak pad or cushion, there should be no real need for any adjustments.
Moreover, most designs are made to have a close universal fit, so that you don’t have to worry so much about sizing when you buy. If there are adjustments, they usually are made super simple to work with too.
This is a continuation of the previous section, where we were talking about adjustments. Like we said, there are many which have close to universal sizing. This, however, doesn’t mean that the seat will be guaranteed to fit your kayak.
That’s why it’s always incredibly important to check the dimensions to figure out if the kayak seat is right for your needs. It also helps to check customer reviews, as sometimes a customer might mention that it works well with a particular kayak – which could be the same or similar to yours.
Do they offer back support?
As you will have seen, many kayak seats offer back support, but to varying strengths. Some have extremely rigid back support to keep your spine relaxed and at ease for long paddles. That being said, the support may have a lot of strength, but it’s important to take note of how much padding has been used in the design. If you require soft back support, make sure to double-check the padding thickness and, of course, customer reviews.
Seat material options
Seat materials can vary a lot and can have different levels of softness and thickness. It’s clearly important that the seats are made to be waterproof and offer adequate ventilation. Another factor to consider is good drainage for when water inevitably splashes into the kayak.
EVA material is a good choice, and many other synthetics are good. Cotton padding is always going to feel comfy, and neoprene is a favorite choice of material for manufacturers to use.
So, we’ve reached the end of our 12 best kayak seats review article. We hope you now have a much better idea about what is available online at the moment.
The seats, pads, and cushions can vary quite dramatically in price, design, and application, so we think it’s vital that you set out with a clear idea of what you want the seat for specifically.
For extended excursions on your kayak, you may want solid back support and durable padding that will function correctly, trip after trip after trip.
If, however, you carry out recreational kayaking on a local lake, river, or on the coastline, it may be that you just require some good padding to add extra comfort.
Whatever the case is, there are plenty of options on the table to sift through. And just to remind you, we made sure only to add highly rated and proven products in this review, so you don’t have to trawl endlessly online comparing dozens of kayak seats and getting most likely dazed and confused.
Thanks for checking this article out, and have fun kayaking!
For more expert product reviews visit our home page Outdoor Swim.