Every fisherman and angler should carry a knife. It’s arguably the most important tool you’ll need. From cutting line to gutting fish, a good quality knife is a must. Keep your knife sharp and close to hand; you never know when you’ll need it.
But there are some fishing jobs you can’t do with a knife, and that’s where the best fishing pliers come in. Fishing pliers make it easier to grip small, slippery objects and also means you can apply a lot more pressure than with your fingers alone. Fishing pliers make it easier to remove fishhooks, tie flies, and even repair your rod or trolling motor.
There are lots of different makes and models of fishing pliers to choose from, so which should you buy? After all, the right pliers will be a joy to use, while the wrong choice could end up being nothing but a waste of money.
For this guide, we have tested and reviewed the 12 best fishing pliers so you can buy with confidence. We’ve also provided the vital information you’ll need to make the right choice.
12 Best Fishing Pliers
$23.99 in stock
- Corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel – The KastKing Cutthroat pliers are made from corrosion resistant 420 stainless steel and coated with a tough Teflon coating for added protection. Our stainless steel pliers are 46% harder than aluminum pliers and nearly 3 times the bending strength of aluminum pliers. Designed for long term performance, these pliers are ideal for both freshwater and harsh saltwater environments.
- Tungsten Carbide Cutters – Super hard tungsten carbide cutters slice though mono, fluorocarbon, or braid with ease. Side mounted anvil cutters for easy access, these cutters allow you to cut your tag end as close to the knot as you desire without any obstructions and the raised surface behind the blade ensures your line will always be in the cutting zone.
- Multi-Function Jaws – Grab and remove any fish hook with the serrated jaws or take advantage of the crimping slots to secure a split shot weight or build a steel leader. To cinch down a knot quickly and safely, insert your hook into one of the holes in the jaws and pull on your hook to create a tight knot. Available in both a straight nose and a Split ring nose design.
- Rubber Handle – The ergonomic textured rubber handle provides comfort and control. A thin grip profile and the spring loaded jaws allow for easy one hand use without worrying about the pliers slipping out of your hands.
- Sheath/Lanyard Included – Includes a custom molded sheath with belt clip to ensure your investment is protected from normal wear and tear. Clip on to your belt or the waistband of your shorts, to make sure you have quick access when a fish is on the line and the coiled lanyard will ensure your pliers don’t fall overboard!
If you are looking for fishing pliers that are tough enough for even the most challenging cutting job, this model with worthy of your consideration. Multifunctional, corrosion-resistant, and made to last, this could be the only pair of fishing pliers you ever need to buy.
- 7” long
- Made from corrosion-resistant 42-grade stainless steel
- Coated in non-stick Teflon
- Tungsten carbide cutting edges
- Non-slip rubber handles
- Multi-function, spring-loaded jaws
- Supplied with a lanyard and nylon belt sheath
Whether you want to pull on a hook to tighten a knot, cut a fishing line, split a shot weight, or even build a steel leader, these pliers are made to help. The high visibility, non-slip handles provide an excellent grip so that, even if your hands are wet, you’ll be able to use these fishing pliers with confidence.
- Very well made
- Easy to use
- Stay sharp for a long time
- Won’t bend or break
- May not be strong enough to cut wire
These pliers can do it all – they’re designed to make almost every fishing job a little bit easier. Leave them in your tackle box or on your belt. You’ll be glad you’ve got them!
$16.99 in stock
- Add Piscifun fishing pliers to your fishing arsenal. Make your hook removal much easier. Fish on!
- Anti-Corrosion Aluminum - The aircraft-grade anodized aluminum delivers excellent corrosion resistance, great for long term use without any signs of oxidation and rust. CNC cut handles offer extreme light feeling and durability.
- Spring Loaded Pliers - Keeps the pliers open freely, super easy to use by one hand. The titanium coated stainless steel jaws come with split ring tip, strong enough for removing hooks and splitting rings.
- Tungsten Carbide Cutters - The Sharpest Tungsten Carbide Cutters (which are fully replaceable) of any pliers on the market, make it extremely easy to cut the strongest braided lines, the heaviest mono leader, the fly lines and backing lines.
- Excellent Carrying Around Pliers - Come with Nylon Sheath, Coiled Lanyard and Belt Loop Clasp makes the pliers extremely convenient to carry around and secure with you. The Belt Loop on the back of the sheath makes it safer when being attached to the belt.
Fishing pliers can be expensive. That may be acceptable if you can keep your pliers safe, but a real drawback if you drop them into the water and cannot retrieve them. These pliers are budget-friendly, so it won’t break the bank if you lose them, but they’re still good enough quality for most anglers.
- 1” long
- Made from aluminum-grade corrosion-resistant aluminum
- Tungsten carbide cutting edges
- Multi-functional spring-loaded jaws
- Ergonomic machine-cut handles
- Supplied with a coiled lanyard, carabiner, and nylon belt pouch
These fishing pliers are light, strong, and well-priced. Made from aluminum, they are naturally corrosion-resistant but aren’t as strong as those made from stainless steel. But, if looked after, these pliers should provide many years of faithful service.
- Very lightweight
- Extremely sharp
- Not as strong as stainless-steel pliers
- Handles are not non-slip
These good looking fishing pliers would really benefit from additional non-slip handles instead of the machine-cut handles they’ve got. But, this small gripe aside, these are very good pliers that are competitively priced and very functional.
$19.99 in stock
- X1 fishing pliers is aluminum handle and stainless steel jaws and other parts construction. It can open split ring remove hooks and cutting braided line
- [Aluminum Handle Inset Spring] Using aluminum handle is more lightweight and support inset the braided line cutters. The pliers can automatically open when there loaded spring
- [Feature Fishing Jaws] The stainless steel jaws added a small hook at the top for opening the stubborn split rings it can help you repair your lure. There also with a split lead and single-barrel crimping position
- [Super Braided Line Cutters] Unlike the previous pliers, Aluminum fishing pliers can cutting braided line and mono line for inset braided cutters. You just line up the pliers you can get smooth and clean cut
- [Secure your Pliers, No Lost Again] We plus a steel wire coiled lanyard and nylon holster to always keep this handy tool within easy reach and security. You can wear on you belt or you fishing bag, keep you hands free
When it comes to fishing pliers, longer is often better. Longer pliers give you more leverage and cutting power, as well as more comfortable to use if you are wearing gloves. At 7.8”, these pliers are a little longer than the average, but this small difference means they are strong enough to cut even braided lines with ease.
- 8” long
- Handles made from rust-resistant aluminum
- Jaws made from high-grade stainless steel
- Tungsten carbide cutting surfaces
- Multi-functional spring-loaded jaws
- Supplied with a nylon pouch and extendable steel wire lanyard
These well-priced fishing pliers have removable blades. This means that you can sharpen or even replace them if necessary. Because of this, the handles should last a lifetime, as you can always put in new blades in the unlikely event that the originals need replacing.
- Very strong and sharp
- High-quality materials
- Competitively priced
- Nice choice of three different colors
- Handles are not non-slip
These practical, functional pliers are well-made and built to last. Being a little longer, they feel good in your hands and cut really well. For the price, these fishing pliers are hard to beat.
- ✔[Anti-Corrosion Aluminum Fishing Pliers]: SANLIKE fishing pliers feature aircraft-grade anodized aluminum to deliver excellent corrosion resistance for both saltwater and freshwater use without any signs of oxidation and rust.
- ✔[Spring Loaded Pliers with Stainless Steel Jaws]: Built-in spring keeps the pliers open automatically for easy operating with one hand. The titanium coated stainless steel jaws come with a strong split ring tip for easy removal of rings from lures or hooks.
- ✔[Tungsten Carbide Cutters]:The Sharpest Tungsten Carbide Cutters of any pliers on the market - The sharp tungsten carbide cutters is able to cut the strongest braided lines and other types of fishing lines without any obstructions
- ✔[Lanyard and Anti-slip Handle]: Come with a nylon sheath, a coiled lanyard and a belt loop clasp. You are able to carry around the fishing pliers to use at any time.Special wave-shaped anti-slip handle design ensures firm grip and makes cutting fishing lines and removing hooks so easy. Without worrying about the pliers slipping out of your hands.Convenient and safe.
- ✔[San Like-You can trust ]: If you have any question or problem about the fishing pliers during use, please feel free to contact us. SANLIKE will always be here to service.
Whatever you need your fishing pliers for, this product is up to the job. Made from light but hard wearing aluminum, they’re sharp, strong, and easy to use. Well-priced and of good quality, these pliers are a great option.
- 2” long
- Lightweight aluminum handles
- Spring-loaded jaws
- Multi-functional, including cutting, opening split rings, crimping, and hook removal, as well as cutting lines
- Tungsten carbide cutting blades
- Profiled handles for comfort and non-slip
- Supplied with a lanyard and belt pouch
These super-sharp fishing pliers are strong enough to cut through even braided lines. Yet, they’re precise enough for removing the smallest hooks. Compact and easy to use, these pliers are versatile and functional.
- VERY sharp
- Blades can be removed/replaced
- Attractive camo finish
- Camo finish is prone to chipping and scratches
While these pliers look cool, they probably won’t stay that way indefinitely. The camo paint is prone to chipping and scratches. That small issue aside, these are excellent pliers that will make many angling jobs a lot easier and quicker to perform.
- √ Corrosion resistance: Aircraft-grade aluminum, anodized to deliver excellent corrosion resistance
- √ Comfortable handling: Anti-slip handles design, spring loaded structure, ergonomic Grip provide greater comfort
- √ Light weight &Strong: Aluminum Handles deliver reduced weight, makes the pliers extremely light weight for long distance fishing trip
- √ Replaceable tungsten carbide cutters: The Sharpest Tungsten Carbide Cutters of any pliers on the market, make it extremely easy to cut the strongest braided lines
- √ Excellent carrying: The Belt Loop Clasp, Coiled Tether, and Nylon sheath make it easy to take with you
If you prefer a more compact set of fishing pliers, this could be the product for you. At 6.7” long, these pliers are easy to handle and look good too. They don’t have as many functions as some other pliers, but for cutting and gripping, they are more than up to the job.
- 7” long
- Made from corrosion-proof aluminum
- Anti-slip rubberized handles
- Replaceable tungsten carbide blades
- Side-mounted cutting blades
- Supplied with a coiled leash and nylon belt sheath
- Available in five colors
Unlike a lot of models on review, these pliers don’t have a massive number of functions. The plier’s nose is quite rudimentary. But, for gripping, crimping, and cutting, which are the main jobs you’ll need them for, these pliers are definitely fit for purpose. Fewer functions mean there is less to go wrong, so these pliers should last a long time.
- Strong and well made
- Good choice of colors
- Very comfortable grip
- Light and strong
- Not as multi-functional as some other models
If you are looking for a no-frills set of fishing pliers, this could be the product for you. They’re all-but unbeatable for cutting, crimping, and gripping, but if you want more from your pliers than these basic functions, you should probably look elsewhere.
|Is Adult Product|
Compact and well-made, these fishing pliers are multi-functional and will make almost any fishing-related chore a little bit easier. They’re light, well-priced, and hardwearing too. All in all, these are great fishing pliers!
- 7” long
- Lightweight corrosion-resistant aluminum handles
- Stainless steel jaws
- Contoured grips
- Side cutter for lines
- Multi-functional nose for opening split rings, crimping, removing hooks, and tying knots
- Supplied with a coiled retainer and nylon belt sheath
Light but strong, these pliers won’t rust and are also very sharp. The contoured handles mean you should have no problem keeping a firm grip on them, even when your hands are wet. Use the coiled leash to make sure that, even if you do drop them, you won’t lose your pliers in the water.
- Strong, light construction
- Side cutter is not as easy to use as a centrally positioned one
These pliers are very easy to use. The design is nothing new, but why reinvent the wheel when they work so well? Made from high-quality materials and with all the functions you could ever need, these pliers are ideal for freshwater and sea anglers.
- Product Type: Fishing Line
- Package Height: 2.54 Centimeters
- Package Length: 28.194 Centimeters
- Package Width: 15.494 Centimeters
- machine cut Aluminum handles for reduced weight.The tungsten carbide cutters are built specifically for braided line.The jaws are made of a coated carbon steel for strength and durability.
Fishing pliers are available to suit all budgets. This model is one of the more expensive on review, but they are very high quality and quality costs! If you want a pair of pliers that will provide lifelong reliability, this could be the product for you.
- 5” long
- Aluminum, corrosion resistant handles
- Sprung jaws
- Drilled handles for less weight
- Tungsten carbide cutters and grips
- Contoured, machine-cut non-slip handles
- Available in three colors
- Supplied with a nylon belt pouch and coiled lanyard
For the price, you’d expect a few additional functions beyond gripping, crimping, and cutting, but that’s what you get with these pliers. While they aren’t the most multi-functional pliers on review, they are probably the most hardwearing, so it really depends on what you value more – functionality or longevity.
- Built to last (and last, and last)
- Very strong
- Nice choice of colors
- Very light
- Easy to use
- Short on functions
These sturdy pliers are strong enough for most fishing jobs and can even cut heavyweight braided lines. But, if you want something that you can use for opening split rings or even opening a beer, these are probably not the pliers for you. They are, however, of very good quality.
$39.47 in stock
1 used from $38.97
- DIMENSIONS: 7.5” overall length with 2” jaws
- EASE OF USE: Quickly remove hooks or replace treble hooks on your favorite lure while out catching fish
- RELIABLE: Patented Bubba Blade Non-Slip Grip handle ensure the pliers stay firmly anchored in your hand even when wet
- DURABLE: Aerospace aluminum construction for reliable lightweight usability - built for ultimate control, strength and durability
- CONVENIENT: The Ti-Nitride coated, rust resistant blade cuts through scales easily and features an extra sharp tip to make starting your cut a breeze and a sheath with a belt loop for close, hands free carry
There is nothing worse than a set of pliers that slip and twist in your hands while you are trying to use them. This model has arguably the best handles on review, and you should be able to maintain your grip even if your hands are covered in fish scales!
- 5” long
- Handles made from aerospace-grade aluminum
- Tri-nitride coated stainless steel blades for rust resistance
- Rubberized non-slip grips
- Multi-functional, spring-loaded tungsten carbide blades for crimping, cutting, and gripping
- Side cutter
- Comes with a coiled lanyard and nylon belt pouch
These could be the ultimate fishing pliers. They are light, strong, and very reliable. The molded, rubberized handles mean they are very comfortable to use, and the chances of them slipping out of your hands are virtually zero. They aren’t the cheapest fishing pliers you can buy, but they’re definitely a premium product.
- Very well made
- Built to last
- Extremely strong
- Reliable and functional
- Very comfortable to use
- Quite expensive
- May be too big for some users
Whatever you need to cut, crimp, or grip, these fishing pliers are up to the task. They’re aren’t cheap, but they are very high quality and should last a lifetime. Providing you don’t mind the hefty price tag, these pliers are highly recommended.
If these pliers were a car, they’d be a Rolls Royce! Made from ultra-light and super strong titanium, these are very expensive but really will last a lifetime. They look good and work perfectly. If you want the best pliers that money can buy, this model is for you.
- 6” long
- Made from AL-4V titanium
- Ergonomic handles
- Precision brushes in the spring hinge for a smoother action
- Side cutting blades
- Handles drilled for a lanyard
- Supplied with a lanyard and high quality, hand-stitched, leather belt pouch
These fishing pliers look and feel amazing, and they work well too. But, on the downside, they have none of the additional functions that can be found on pliers that cost a tenth of the price. They are, however, arguably the highest quality pliers on review.
- Beautiful design
- Engineered to perfection
- Ultra-light and super strong
- Very sharp and should remain so for years
- Very expensive
- Not many functions beyond cutting, crimping, and gripping.
These fishing pliers are a premium product. The materials and engineering are beyond compare. Do they work any better than a regular set of fishing pliers? Probably not! But they look and feel fabulous and should be considered a lifelong investment.
- Package length: 19.558 cm
- Package width: 8.382 cm
- Package height: 3.302 cm
- Product Type: FISHING EQUIPMENT
No tackle box is complete without a set of fishing pliers. This model from Lew’s is light, strong, and easy to use. Made to last, this is a well-priced product that every angler will enjoy using.
- 5” long
- Handles made from high-grade aluminum
- Stainless steel, tungsten carbide cutting, and gripping surfaces
- Supplied with a nylon belt holster and coiled lanyard
- Grooved handle for non-slip use
These no-frills pliers don’t have a lot of functions. In fact, they’re only really good for gripping, crimping, and cutting. But they do these things really well! Sharp and strong enough to even cut braided lines, these pliers are both strong and light.
- Compact design
- Easy to use
- Great holster
- Reliable and hardwearing
- Not the cheapest pliers available
These neat, compact pliers feel good in your hands. They’re not packed with functions, but they do the basics very well. For most anglers, these pliers can do everything that’s needed during a fishing trip on freshwater or the sea.
$64.99 in stock
- Spring-loaded pliers lessen hand fatigue and are held in check by a plunge lock
- Carbide cutters are exchangeable and reversible for maintenance, great for braided line cutting
- Off axis nose improves line of sight and control, handle space is optimized for maximum force
- Gerber fishing gear tool has an oversized finger choil that works as a forefinger rest
- Bearhand Control System provides an ergonomic and comfortable grip on the fishing tool
Gerber makes some of the best outdoor equipment available, including knives, axes, saws, and multitools. These fishing pliers are equally high quality, and while they aren’t the cheapest on review, they aren’t the most expensive either. If quality matters to you, these pliers are worthy of your consideration.
- 5” long
- Aluminum and stainless steel construction
- Replaceable, reversible carbide cutters
- “Bearhand control” to increase gripping and cutting power
- Off-axis blades for better visibility and more cutting power
- Lock to prevent accidental opening
- Supplied with a lanyard and sheath
Like all Gerber products, these pliers are backed by a 12-month warranty. Precision engineered for optimal performance, this product is perfect for all your gripping and cutting needs.
- Very well made
- Backed by an excellent warranty
- Built to last
- Very strong grip
- Sharp enough to cut braided line
- Quite expensive
- Not very multi-functional
These Gerber fishing pliers are quite basic in design and don’t offer a lot of fancy features. This might seem like a disadvantage, but really, it’s not. Instead, these pliers know what they are, and they aren’t pretending to be a multitool. Instead, these are high-quality pliers for gripping and cutting, and they do those things very well.
- Material: Space aluminum handles, Stainless steel jaws and tungsten cutters.You can use it in both saltwater and freshwater.
- Elaborate design: Auto-open two-side spring bearing designed for one-hand operation. Eagle claw jaws are much easier to remove or replace hooks. Human body engineering designed handles are very comfortable to hold and slipproof.
- Sharp Side cutters: Tungsten Steel cutters can cut kinds of line, wire and even hook.
- What You Get: One portable fishing pliers(2.8oz, 6.7-inch) one belt holder sheath, one lanyard
If you need a pair of fishing pliers and a fish lip gripper to make landing your catches easier, this is the package for you. Well-priced, there are better quality products available, but this one works fine and is excellent value.
- 7” long pliers
- Aluminum non-slip handles with contoured grip
- Stainless steel sprint-activated jaws with tungsten carbide cutters
- Side cutters
- Multi-functional jaws for gripping, crimping, and tying knots
- Supplied with a lanyard and belt pouch
- 6” long fish lip gripper
- Made from stainless steel
- Built-in fish weight scale
- Supplied with a lanyard
This item is a two-product set – pliers and a fish lip gripper. Both are well-made and functional, but not necessarily the best quality. That said, they are perfectly functional and do the job they were designed for. This package is ideal for novice anglers and anyone on a budget.
- Very well priced
- Pack contains pliers and fish lip gripper
- Suitable for all aspects of fishing
- An ideal gift
- Not the highest quality
- Pliers could bend or break with heavy use
For the price, this combination of pliers and fish lip gripper is hard to beat. They might not be made from the highest quality materials or be the most robust, but they work well and are more than suitable for novice and occasional anglers.
Make sure you check out the following essential information before buying your next set of fishing pliers.
What to consider when choosing the best fishing pliers
The best fishing pliers are the ones that match your budget and do what you need them to do. That means you need to consider the construction materials (discussed below) and the functions offered.
Some pliers are only suitable for gripping and cutting lines, while others have additional functions, such as opening split rings and crimping lead weights closed. If you want a genuinely multi-functional plier, it may be worth considering a multitool. However, these can be expensive and have so many moving parts they’re almost impossible to keep free from rust.
But, sticking with fishing pliers, make sure that your prospective purchase a) matches your budget and b) has all the functions you need. Otherwise, you could find yourself with a set of pliers that don’t do what you need them to and never leave your tackle box.
Fishing pliers come in a range of sizes, from 6” up to 8”. The longer the pliers, the more cutting and gripping power they’ll have, and the easier they’ll be to use while wearing gloves. But, obviously, they’ll also weigh more and take up more space on your belt or in your tackle box.
More compact models are often easier to handle, lighter, and take up less space, but can lack grip and cutting strength.
Try a few different sizes to determine which fits your hand best. Comfort is as important as performance.
Fishing pliers are typically made from a combination of stainless steel and aluminum, although more expensive models are made from ultra-light titanium too. Typically, the handles are made from aluminum, while the jaws are made from stainless steel. Most also have tungsten carbide cutting and gripping surfaces for increased strength.
While aluminum is light and naturally resistant to corrosion, it’s also prone to bending. Stainless steel is much stronger and heavier, but it’s also more expensive, although it should last longer.
Your budget will probably determine which material is best for your needs, but aluminum is more prone to bend or break than stainless steel, and titanium can be prohibitively expensive.
How to avoid corrosion
Fishing pliers are bound to get wet from time to time, which means they may become corroded. Avoid this problem by drying your pliers thoroughly as soon as you get home from your fishing trip and then lightly oiling them.
Store them in a dry place to protect them from rust when they’re not being used. Pay extra attention oiling to the hinge as rust here could make your pliers unusable. Rust elsewhere is purely cosmetic.
How to remove a hook
Removing a fishhook with pliers is easier for both you and the fish!
Using your pliers, grasp the hook by the stem and twist and gently pull the hook out the way it went in.
If the hook is snagged, twist it a little more and gently try again. Do not rip the hook out, as this will injure the fish and, even if you release it, it could still die. Ideally, you should remove the hook while the fish remains in the water.
A good set of fishing pliers is a handy addition to your tackle box or belt. Armed with your pliers, you’ll be able to crimp lines, attach lead weights to your line, remove embedded fishhooks, and cut lines too. Fishing pliers are truly multi-functional. Every angler should have a set of fishing pliers.
But, with so many different makes and models to choose from, it can be hard to know which ones to buy. You need to think about the price, the materials they’re made out of, the functions on offer, and the size. The right pliers should be a joy to use. The wrong pliers could end up staying at home!
That’s why it’s always worth trying a few different sets of pliers to see what works best for you. For some, that will mean smaller, lighter pliers. For others, strength will be more important, and some anglers will prefer something that offers a whole lot of extra functions.
Ultimately, there are no one-size-fits-all best fishing pliers, and we can’t tell you what the right choice is. Instead, you’ll need to make that decision for yourself. Decided what you want to use your pliers for, set your budget, and start searching. It’s a safe bet that the right model for you is in our fishing pliers review!
For more expert product reviews visit our home page Outdoor Swim.